The new Demo of Netmar Project will take place in October 1st. 2014. The chosen location is Port of Pobra do Caramiñal, in SW of La Coruña. In this second test, we will show the simulation of a maritime incident at sea, with redirection of the ship to a safe port (A Pobra do Caramiñal), that will be the place where we will carry out an exercise of flight against the accidental maritime pollution.
A reefer having problems maneuvering due to a heavy storm registered in Finisterre traffic separation device (VTS) proceeds to anchor in the Ria de Arosa to assess possible damage, escorted by a rescue ship.
The Finisterre CCS informs Gardacostas operating room, and this institution alerts Portos de Galicia and others responsibles for ports and sailing in the estuary area.On the mooring maneuver, it is found that the ship leaking fuel causing a spill, assumed to be due to a crack in one of the double bottom tanks consumption. Once the discharge is verified, the response system is activated when contingencies discharges and decided that the ship docking at the port Pobra do Caraminal.
Spilled product is IFO 180 fuel type. In the evolution of pollution is observed that part of the product is extended by the harbor basin, and a significant spot drift towards Vilagarcía estuary and beach Arenal by tides and currents effect. Spray drift is favored by weather conditions and causes spots fragmented by the river, the pier and the beach area.
What are the goals?
- Proof of constitution and functioning «in situ» of the coordination of operations at sea and on land with a response system contingencies faced with polluting discharges. Capacity for coordination and communication through ICT implemented will be checked.
- Plan and implement a coordinated response exercise due to contingency for polluting discharges into the sea, where the conclusions derived from the Shannon exercise of NETMAR Project will be applied, especially in terms of methodology and organization decision making and technical control. Collaboration between policy makers, technical, and economic, social and environmental actors, which is essential given the environmental and social sensitivity of the area where the DEMO will take place.
- Deploy new technologies for the detection and control of polluting discharges, and coordinate its use with conventional tools, used in the standard response of these types of incidents / accidents to show their specific capabilities, and assess its merits in an operational exercise. These new technologies (UAV-unmaned Air Vehicle and Autonomous Underwater Vehicles AUV - mainly) are developed and / or improved by industries and European scientific institutions who participante in NETMAR project.
- Planning and executing co-ordinately an exercise of emergency response, where the lessons learned in the execution of the NETMAR project will be applied, especially those concerning the methodology and organization of the decision-makers and technicians.
At this stage, the support of INTECMAR, with a key role in the protection of the sustainability of the marine environment and in the maritime safety, will be decisive. This role has been intensified along with their participation in European projects such as ArcopolPlus, MDS or Raia.
The conclusions of the exercise will improve the Emergency Plans which are being drafting by the Galician Government.
- Displaying new technologies for the detection and control of polluting spillages, and coordinating his use with the conventional tools. These new technologies (UAV-Unmaned Air Vehicle and AUV- Autonomous Underwater Vehicles, fundamentally) are developed and/or improved by Industries and European scientific institutions in the frame of the NETMAR project.
The organisations involved in this demonstration are the following:
The public entity Portos of Galicia will be the responsible for the conception, preparation and coordination of the exercise, but:
- In the conception of the exercise the contributions of the partners of the NETMAR project will be essential, since the demonstration must include new technologies developed in the frame of the project.
- In the preparation and operative coordination of the exercise we will count on the assistance and participation of SASEMAR (National Government), Coastguard of Galicia (Regional Government), INTECMAR (Regional Government), Environment Department of Xunta de Galicia (Regional Government) and Civil Protection Deparment (Municipality of A Pobra do Caramiñal).
Afterwards the participation of the NETMAR partners in the execution of the demonstration will be used to show the performances of the new technologies.
All Netmar partners are invited to propose suggestions and complements, so as to create situations of best value for the demonstration of the innovative tools they propose.